Strong Voices Build Self-Determined Lives
Seven Hills promotes self-advocacy and self-determination by providing the people we support with innovative and genuine opportunities to participate fully and meaningfully as valued members of their communities. This is enhanced when they can speak for themselves, participate in policy formulation and influence opinion-making, express the rights and exercise the responsibilities of citizenship, and achieve their optimal growth and independence through organizational efforts and community education. That is, they become a “self-advocate.”
Seven Hills provides a myriad of supports that promote and encourage self-advocacy through all areas of service by:
- Working one-on-one with individuals and families to develop a person-centered plan, promoting self-determination and fostering choice.
- Providing information and referral, 家庭训练, parent networking, community connections and resources.
- Hosting Advocacy Groups that educate, inform, and build leadership skills around self-determination.
- Establishing a GLBTQ Advocacy Group
- Promoting Human Rights 教育 and Committee memberships
- Encouraging and facillitating state-wide advocacy for individuals with disabilities and working with government to ensure adequate funding for programs that support people with disabilities and the staff who support them.
Links to Resources:
提倡s in Action, RI
Mass 提倡s Standing Strong
The Arc of Massachusetts
Disability Law Center of Massachusetts
Massachusetts Developmental Disabilities Council
Parent, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) of Worcester
Self 提倡s Becoming Empowered (SABE)
Rainbow Support Group